Sunday, January 27, 2013

Abstinence Lies


     I believe of all the feminist issues: abortion, equal pay for equal work, misogyny perpetrated by elected officials that abstinence education is an overlooked issue. Considering how prolific anti-sex advocates have been with implementing it in thirty-seven states which require sex education that includes abstinence. Twenty-six of which put an emphasis on it as the best method. Not only do teens have sex with or without being taught abstinence, it shames the sex they will have and makes it less likely for them to use contraceptives. Furthermore, these programs often lie to help persuade and shame teens away from sex. I believe abstinence should be a minimal part, or a side note to a comprehensive sex education program. For those who will have sex regardless, they will do it safely. Of course the steps preceding intercourse would be discussed since no one regardless of age should rush into something that can change (and yes if done recklessly, ruin) a relationship. For those who want to wait until marriage to have sex, they can wait until marriage.
While choosing to be abstinent can be the most effective way to prevent pregnancy and STIs (since no sex means no way to transfer or initiate any of those circumstances). Abstinence based sex-ed is the most ineffective method of preventing STIs, teenage pregnancy, and well sex (since there are many more teens who choose to engage in sexual behavior than abstain). A teen is sixty percent less likely to get themselves or another person pregnant if they are taught some kind of comprehensive sex education. Also sex, the act the people in place are trying to prevent is not impacted by abstinence based education. So, why do we continue to teach abstinence when it not only fails in it's mission to prevent sex, but also increases teenage pregnancy. This then feeds into the issue of abortion which many of these same abstinence-only pushers believe is never an option.
A contact for an article relating to the subject came to the conclusion that not only does abstinence-only sex education not lower pregnancies she also went on to say... "Advocates for continued abstinence-only education need to ask themselves: If teens don't learn about human reproduction, including safe sexual health practices to prevent unintended pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases, as well as how to plan their reproductive adult life in school, then when should they learn it and from whom?" This brings up the excellent point since this is often left unanswered by the pro-abstinence side. Typically their argument is “if we teach kids not to have sex they won't have sex... Until marriage!”.
We need to stop misinforming our kids. If we continue down this path of sex-shaming, “just don't do it” approach we will end up with... Teens learning about sex from the wrong outlets, more abortions (which pro life or choice, you don't want), more intimacy and sex issues (even for those who wait until marriage). All because an otherwise well intentioned program which doesn't work was accepted as commonplace in our schools.


Sources

15 comments:

  1. Great topic! Sex is a topic that no one wants to talk about, yet it is needed to talked about. I agree with when you say that most people would rather shy away from teaching teens about sex then informing them the good and bad about it. As teens, the things they are told not to do is what they will do, so why not inform about it and give them the choice to make that decision. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an important topic. Abstinence-only education does not work! Kids need to learn lifeskills and so many of the problems that you mention here are solveable with a common-sense approach to learning about safe sex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. People need to realize that the only way to lower teen pregnancy rates is to teach comprehensive sexual education in schools. Telling teens what not to do really just makes them want to test the waters even more. Giving them the facts and resources just allows them do experiment safely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with everything you just said! A sex-ed program should talk about just that, sex! Abstinence is a topic that should be emphasized in the program, but it should not be the only one. I can relate to this becuase in my health class, we did not talk about sex at all. My school expected my parents to talk to me about it, and my parents expected the school to do it! When confusion comes into play, teen pregnancy sky-rockets. As a person who graduated from a school with above average teen pregnancy rates, I totally understand the importance of this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent Blog! My mom taught sex ed for many years, so the topic of sex was never not spoken of in our house. I totally agree, other aspects of sex need to be discussed. Teaching abstinence's is not the best solution (my opinion). However, I'm not a religious person and I was raised safe sex not no sex. Good attachments too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes times a million! i got to have a real sex ed type class my senior year...but that was senior year and by they about 75% of the kids in my class had already had sex. how do you determine when it is an approiate time to teach this to kids? im from wisconsin so "legally" you're not supposed to have sex till you're 16 but theres kids in middle school doin it. So how do you take this touchy subject and put it in a way that is going to teach kids to wait, but to be safe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great topic to choose! talking about sex is often sometimes a taboo topic.. I really like how you rapped up your final paragraph with if we have the "just don't do it" mentality then things are going to get worse. great blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a relevant topic to talk about! I enjoyed the valid points you brought up and the sources you have to support your claims (always good!) however, I wish you would have gone more in depth with the articles instead of just listing them. Be sure to proof-read your blog as well, as errors can decrease your credibility. I think this is an ongoing topic and problem so I'm glad that you have chosen to discuss it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wondeful post, Ashley! I especially love your use of implanted hyperlinks to other useful posts and resources. You're well thought out and articulate, too. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A topic rarely touched, I liked reading this. It is true. With minimal education and information on protective contraceptions, pregnancy can be prevented as well as any sexually transmitted diseases. I liked how you touched base on how parents and elders try and steer their kids and younger generations away from sex until marriage because that is very narrow minded. Overall, I liked the blog. Might be more helpful if you use more alternatives and when a good period of time would be to begin introducing these preventative solutions. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's interesting to read a lot of what the abstinence-only advocates think surrounding the morality of sex, which tends to be that it's something special and should be saved for marriage; rather than it being a natural and fun thing to do that doesn't always necessarily end in pregnancy. They seem so set on protecting the fetus that they refuse to educate people on actual ways to protect procreation, like through contraception.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My parents were teens when I was born, which heavily influenced their views on sex education. I think my parents saw sex as part of the territory of growing up, and that there were "rules," like wearing makeup and getting an after-school job. The rule they tried to impress on us the most was "if you're not mature enough to remember a condom, you aren't mature enough to have sex." Only teaching abstinence does a major disservice to young people.
    If you decide to explore this more, it would be interesting to read about the shaming that happens, particularly to young women.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! I get so frustrated when I learn how poorly learned people can be about sex, and it can be especially dangerous ignorance for adolescents. Simple science, biology and proper instruction can equip individuals with (some of the) the right tools to make informed choices. How can we get everybody on the same page? Is it possible?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so great!!! I completely agree with everything you said. As someone who attended a Catholic school for 8 years of my life, I grew up thinking that sex was wrong and that I would go to hell for having sex before marriage. This idea took me until recently to finally shake, and realize that safe sex before marriage is perfectly healthy and okay to do! I don't believe that hiding what sex is and how pregnancy can be prevented is beneficial at all to adolescents and teens. By providing birth control and talking about how to practice safe sex, we CAN ensure that the next generation of teenagers are educated about sex, and once they take the mystery away and realize they can do this "adult" activity while still not getting pregnant, I think it would be beneficial for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great! In many cultures and house holds the topic sex is not talked about as much as it should, and in others they don't talk about it all. I think this a great topic and it is a topic that should be talked about and not shied away from. I think if it is talked about more often young adults and teen will know the good and bad about sex and they will practices safe sex, instead of them not knowing anything about it and throwing themselves in to. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete